Multi-Sector General Permit for Stormwater Discharges Associated with Industrial Activity
The MSGP is a federally mandated National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit that covers new and existing discharges of stormwater from industrial facilities. Industrial facilities conduct activities and use materials that have the potential to impact the quality of Vermont’s waters. The permit requires facilities to examine potential sources of pollution, implement measures to reduce the risk of stormwater contamination, and test stormwater discharges for sources of pollution.
In Vermont, DEC is the permitting authority and administers the MSGP. Permit coverage is required by private and municipal industries identified on the MSGP Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code list.
On August 4, 2011 the Agency issued the final 2011 MSGP. This permit replaces the 2006 MSGP, which expired on August 18, 2011.
- Final 2011 MSGP (PDF, 676 KB)
- The 2011 MSGP
includes (1) general requirements (Parts 1-7), (2) sector-specific requirements
(Part 8), and definitions,
general conditions, and eligible industries
- Final Permit Factsheet (PDF, 131 KB) - The MSGP Factsheet summarizes the major changes between the 2006 MSGP and the new 2011 MSGP.
- NOI (Fillable pdf 248 KB) Note: Fees increased on July 1, 2012! New and existing facilities that do not qualify for the No Exposure Conditional Exclusion must submit a new Notice of Intent (NOI) form. For assistance with completing the NOI, see the NOI Instruction Sheet (PDF, 30 KB)
- SWPPP Update Factsheet (PDF, 161 KB) - This document summarizes the required updates to SWPPPs prepared for the 2006 MSGP. Please update your facility's existing SWPPP to meet the requirements of the new 2011 MSGP. Facilities that have authorizations under the 2006 MSGP and have previously submitted a SWPPP to the Agency may update their SWPPP and keep it on site. All first time applicants must submit a copy of the facility's SWPPP with the NOI.
- 2006 SWPPP Template (doc, 560 KB) and Instruction Booklet (PDF, 312 KB) - The SWPPP Template and Instruction Booklet were designed for the 2006 MSGP but may be used for the 2011 MSGP, along with the SWPPP Update Factsheet (above).
- DMR (PDF, 321 KB) - Discharge Monitoring Report form for Quarterly Benchmark, Impaired Waters, and Effluent Limitation monitoring
- New! Annual Report - Fillable PDF (277KB) or Word Version (57KB) - Permittees are now required to submit annual reports summarizing their annual comprehensive site inspection and
corrective actions taken during the year for the MSGP. Annual reports are due no later than October 15th of every year. Reports may be emailed to email@example.com or submitted via mail to: VTDEC Stormwater Program, Attn: MSGP Program Coordinator, 103 S. Main Street, Bldg 10 N, Waterbury, VT 05671.
- NOT (PDF, 121 KB) - Notice of Termination form
- EPA Industrial Sector Fact Sheets - These fact sheets summarize the types of facilities included in each of the 29
sectors regulated under the 2011 MSGP, the pollutants associated with this
sector, and the types of stormwater control measures generally used.
- How to determine that Latitude and Longitude for your facility:
- To complete the NOI and NOX forms, facility
operators must determine the latitude and longitude of the approximate center of
the facility in degrees/minutes/seconds (for example, latitude: 44° 15’ 40”,
longitude: -72° 34’ 35”).
- You may use the VTANR Natural Resource Atlas to determine the latidude and longitude for your facility at: http://maps.anr.state.vt.us/ANRAv2/
- Click on "Find Tools" then "Find by Address". Enter the address for your facility. When you find your location, click on "Find Tools" then "Click for XY". Click on your facility to get the Lat/Long.
Updated: April 2013